Today was a roller coaster sort of day. I was up around 5:00 a.m., restless with no signs of labor. I took a bath and started getting ready for the day. Then, I had a strong indication of my body making progress in the preparation to give birth. Not a telltale sign like water breaking or intense contractions, but a definite, indisputable event nonetheless. (I try not to give too much information in case there are any gentleman reading)
With my patience renewed by this event, I decided that Sawyer and I would hitch a ride with him on his way to work. He dropped us off at his mom's, where his sister and our new niece are visiting. I became an aunt on June 28th, and I still hadn't met sweet baby Blair since they live a few hours away and we thought I'd be giving birth shortly after. Anyway, we had a sweet morning getting acquainted with Blair and visiting with my sister-in-law and mother-in-law. Sawyer even got brave enough to give Blair a kiss. I didn't use my camera, and I'm kicking myself for that now!
Ryley picked us up and we headed home. Sawyer went down for a nap, and shortly after I headed to the clinic for another appointment with my midwife. I arrived a few minutes before the scheduled time. I watched other patients arrive, 3 of them pregnant (but not as far along as me), and they all continue to get called back for their appointments. 35 minutes later, and I am fighting to hold back my tears of frustration. I was having contractions (like I've been having on and off for 2 weeks), I was very uncomfortable, and I am starting to give into the exhaustion. I feel like I have been fighting a mental breakdown for the last few days.
I finally get called back and it is near impossible to hold back my tears. My blood pressure was quite a bit higher than it had been. Jeanie (the midwife) walked in and said, "It's time to be done now, isn't it?" She didn't expect me to still be pregnant. 16 days overdue now. She said even if I was still trying to be patient, it's time to put a date on the calendar for an induction.
I was 4 1/2 cm dilated today and over 80% effaced. She said she would expect labor to start within 24 hours of what happened this morning. But just in case, she called the hospital and argued with the charge nurse about getting me an induction date.
She explained to me that many practitioners call the hospital 1-2 months ahead of their patients' due dates, and often they schedule the induction dates for 1-3 weeks before the due dates. So many of the inductions occurring this week are women who were due a month AFTER me. Being of similar philosophy to myself about labor and delivery, this frustrates her that someone who wants nature to take its course... and then it doesn't... has a hard time getting in to the hospital ASAP.
My midwife was willing to come in on a weekend to induce me, and she managed to get me on the calendar for this Saturday, July 23rd. So at the latest, I will be in labor about 36 hours from now.
Still praying that this baby starts to come on its own. But I was so grateful that I left Jeanie feeling empowered, encouraged, and cared for. And even excited for the chance to have my birth plan carried out. She told me that even if things don't go how I had hoped, even if I need to be induced via pitocin, she said, "I will get you through this" and it will be as close to my goals as she can get it. It's so good to feel understood at this point in my pregnancy, and to know I am in the care of someone who genuinely is doing just that... caring.
Can't wait to hold you in my arms, sweet baby of mine.
2 comments:
This is so encouraging that you have a voice...a spokesperson for YOU during this, I remember your frustration last time...I'm excited to hear the story of sweet success!!!
Praying for you, Shannon!
Post a Comment