A woman is meant to be pregnant for 38-42 weeks. They take 40 weeks as the midway point for a "due date." So often these days, if a woman goes 1 day past 40 weeks, the immediate question is: when will she be induced?
With Sawyer, I went 41 weeks and 3 days. While I believe I was going into labor, I arrived at the hospital and my water was broken to speed things up. Was there a medical reason for this? One that was in the best interest of me or Sawyer? I do not believe in interventions if it is simply to accommodate the schedule of the doctor or to cater to the impatience of the mother-to-be.
Now I am not judging what other people choose to do by any means. I know there are sometimes good reasons for interventions (inductions, c-sections, medications, etc.) and thank God that we have access to those if it helps. But it seems to me that inductions often just cater to the "I want it now" attitude in this society. I know if I went to the doctor today and she said we should induce tomorrow, I would be very tempted.
Anyway, last night I felt like things were starting. I packed my bag, Ryley called his parents so they could be on alert to come stay with Sawyer, and then I went to bed. I slept fairly well, but woke up at 7:00 a.m. to a kink in my neck and a baby still in my womb.
Great. REALLY?!?!
But just when I needed it, the Lord provided for me. An encouraging word from a few friends, and even one who had had a dream about me last night that I believe was from God.
And then my sweet Sawyer woke up. With all his chatterings and how happy he was to see his breakfast and just have another day... it's hard to stay impatient all day long. Because this moment with him will never happen again, and holding our new baby in my arms will come when it's supposed to.
No comments:
Post a Comment