Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Still Shocked...

So apparently I have less than 7 weeks to go until my due date. Not a day has gone by that I don't think "Is this really happening?" I am in awe daily of what God has done.

It has been something like 24 weeks since I became aware of the life I will bring into this world. It has been quite a ride. I can say that Ryley and I have been savoring the last months of "just us," living in the moment yet still looking forward to what is to come. For me, it has been a time of reflection on my life. How did the way I was raised affect who I am today? And how will my personality affect my child? What are my hopes and dreams for this child? So many things to ponder and think on, so much to look forward to, so much to be thankful for.

Of course, thinking about becoming a mother makes me think about the type of mother I had. It has become so real to me how much she put her whole heart into her children. How both my mom and dad spent so much time with us. I think about how my brother and I played sports year-round, and there was never a game at home or away where we didn't have a parent there to watch. Both of my parents also coached us. How amazing is that?

I have been enjoying the small things along the way during this pregnancy. I haven't taken for granted the days I have been able to sleep in. Or how easy it is to spend time swimming or going on walks with my sweet dogs. The way Ryley looks at me, and how he pats my belly each morning when he kisses me goodbye. Countless blessings and sweet moments.

Ryley has been working so very hard. He acquired a lot more land this crop season compared with the last. He has been working anywhere between 60-100 hours just about all summer, and he is just gearing up for fall harvest, his busiest time of the year. He also became a seed representative, which will bring him more work starting this winter and in the years to come. It has been stressful; I wish he could come with to every doctor appointment and be there at night to help me with the things I want done before the baby is here. But we do what we can, and we know it will all work out just fine.

This past weekend I was richly blessed with a visit from my dad and Debi. My dad is always very eager to do things for us around the house. He washed all the windows inside and out, mowed the lawn, cleaned out the entire garage, put some pictures on the wall, and completed countless other small cleaning and fixing projects. Debi blessed me with great conversation, helped me clean out the nursery and paint it. I feel so much more content and less overwhelmed by everything they got done! They both have generous servant hearts.

And so, that is where I'm at. Yesterday I ordered the crib and changing tower...even though we don't plan to have the baby in the nursery for a few months. But you always have to keep your plan flexible, right? Anyway, it was exciting and relieving to have that decision out of the way.

1 comment:

excitedtobeafamily said...

How exciting! I am glad everything is going well. I am still in shock at times and my baby is almost 6! Take care.