




As I've mentioned before, Brynja means "armor." I loved being able to give my daughter a name that has a strong meaning.
Ephesians 6:13 says:
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
Ever since the day I found out I was having a girl, I've prayed that the Lord would protect her. That she would one day put on the full armor of God, and that she would grow up to also protect those who need protection.
At this point, Sawyer feels the need to protect his "Brynee." He gets very anxious, often times to the point of tears, when someone who he isn't very familiar with is holding his baby sister. Just this morning when we were at our family music class, he was engaged in a song across the room from where I was sitting near Brynee, who was lying on a blanket. Another little boy started coming towards her to say hello. Sawyer took notice and ran across the room. He got between her and the little boy, put his hands over her as if to shield her, and told the boy "STOP." Of course I explained to Sawyer that the boy was our friend and that he wanted to say hello. Sawyer cautiously allowed the boy to say hello to Brynee, but stood by carefully watching over his sissy.
Having a daughter is already different to me. When Sawyer was born, I felt proud of him, but I knew I would be raising him to let him go. When Brynja was born, while I felt the same things to an extent, I felt like she was the treasure of our family. I love both of my babies so deeply, and I do not love one more than the other. But having a daughter feels different than having a son. It is difficult for me to articulate why.
When Brynja had her 2 month appointment, her doctor was sharing that her children were about the same age difference, a boy then a girl just like my kids. It was so interesting to me, because it seems that she feels the same way I do about her children. She adores both of them, but the relationship is different. Her daughter is 11 and her son is 13. About her daughter, she said, "When she is at school and I'm here it work, I physically long for her."
I was always so afraid of having a daughter. I was an awful daughter to my parents during my teenage years. I figured if I ever had a daughter of my own, I would pay for that; after all, what goes around, comes around. I am sure that there will be challenges with all of my children, and who they will be, their personalities, etc. remains to be seen. But I will endure it and raise them the best I can with help from the Lord. I no longer fear it (because what's the point in worrying now?). I am just so very grateful to have the privilege to be their mama.
Back to Brynee. Right now, at 3 months old, she is certainly sugar and spice, and everything nice. She is so very sweet. Smiley, laid-back, rarely makes a fuss. Wakes up happy, sleeps a lot. Loves her big brother and anyone else who stops to talk with her.
It is so fun watching the interaction between my two children. Sawyer, ever the doting and protective brother. And she gazes at him with adoration. Of course they will have their moments, I'm sure, but the prayer of my heart is that their relationship will always be like this at the core.
Psalm 127:3-4
Children are a heritage from the LORD,
offspring a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth.
2 comments:
I have definitely got to hold her more often so Saywer doesn't cry at me anymore. :) She's so gorgeous and I love how much she and Saywer look a like. You make beautiful babies! And I pray you'll be great friends with your daughter all your lives.
What a great post! I love your words and love, love, LOVE your photos of your beautiful kiddos! So special! :)
Post a Comment