Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blogging Insecurities

He likes to have his snacks sitting on his doggy pillow pet.

He's a fan of peaches.

To those of you who have a blog, do you ever have something to say or share but you never do it because you are afraid of how it might be perceived? I struggle with this a lot. Being honest with my feelings, yet still being deemed likeable. I don't want to be self-absorbed or prideful or whiney. I know I read other people's blogs and sometimes I think to myself, "Really? Is that how you are?" (no one I know personally, so I'm probably not talking about you) And so, I also have a "private blog" set up for writing the truths about my life and feelings that are too dark or controversial for the public.

I also want to be interesting, and write about other things that matter outside of my family. Like the bigger picture, you know? I want to have stuff about cooking or baking, or about politics (Herman Cain for President!) or faith or culture. Besides just how many teeth Sawyer has or what words he's saying. Because that can get old for some people.

I was introduced to a blog less than 2 weeks ago... and granted I haven't read back in her older entries. She is a friend of a friend of a friend, and I feel like I walked with her through her great tragedy of losing her 6-month old son, Owen. But she is brutally honest about how she feels, yet she gives glory to the Lord in so much of her writing. Go HERE for the first post of her tragedy. I feel like I am still carrying a burden around for this woman because I was reading her updates real-time while they happened.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to be less selfish. Like when I was all worried about where we would live and if I would get the house I wanted. I found myself telling my worries to a friend... who is waiting to bring home her two precious daughters from Haiti. Seemed like what I was going through was so very small and insignificant compared to her beautiful daughters in an orphanage. Although she very gracefully reminded me that I shouldn't compare the worries of my life to someone else's... which again made me grateful that I have a God who cares about my small little problems. And friends who care, even if what they're going through is greater than what is going on in my life. I really want to be a better friend to my current friends, and love on people that I don't necessarily like because of my sinful nature. This is me, opening the door for Jesus to flood into those ugly spots in my heart!

No comments: