Thursday, December 31, 2009

9 weeks


Visiting with Grampa at Christmas




Sawyer loves his Meemaw (Gramma)



Having fun with Aunt Molly



And so, my sweet Sawyer is 9 weeks old today. I can't believe how much he's grown, and I still can't believe I'm actually a mama. He had his 2 month appointment today, complete with shots and everything. He was 11 pounds 14 ounces, 23 inches. According to my doctor, he is in the 50 percentile, average, right in the middle. But he is far from average.

Of course he was administered his first shots today. I made Ryley come with to the appointment because I wasn't sure how I would do. I'm so glad he came...it was the first time Sawyer has actually cried. It was heartbreaking for me, as I'm sure any mother understands. Having never heard a true sad or hurt cry out of him, it was especially traumatic. To see real tears falling from his eyes. But Ryley was great, held Sawyer's hands and told him what a good boy he was.

He is sleeping through the night now. According to The Baby Book by Dr. William Sears, sleeping through the night by medical standards is 5 hours. I put Sawyer down for bed and he sleeps 8 hours, wakes up hungry and falls asleep by the end of his feeding, then sleeps another 2-3 hours. It's been that way for the last few weeks, and he's always been a good sleeper before that as well. I know, this can change depending on his development. But I am really enjoying it right now.

I find myself praying for him constantly throughout the day. I pray for his character, I pray that he will love the Lord with his whole heart. I pray that he will not suffer in this life unless it brings glory to God. I pray for his wife, that she will love him second only to God...and selfishly, that she will love me, too, so that I will still get to see my boy. Yes, I know, I'm getting ahead of myself a bit. But the Lord knows the worries of my heart and I'm thankful I can go to Him with my thoughts.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Lovely. You are a lovely mama!

amanda Eastvold said...

I couldn't agree with you more Shannon about praying for our children. I've never prayed more in my life than I do praying for Russell.
You are such an amazing lady, and I'm so blessed to have had you in my life. Lil Sawyer is so blessed to have a mama like you. you are a gift to him as much as he is a gift to you!