Saturday, July 3, 2010

Women and Food

Ryley is out working hard again today, hauling our bales of hay to storage.

On a day when many people are getting together with family and friends in the Midwest, likely at the lake enjoying the 90 degree weather, I find myself indoors and thinking about food. I don't know if it's just me, but a lot of the women I know tend to enjoy cooking or baking, and I think the gratification is to make others happy.

So far, my morning has consisted of breastfeeding the baby in between making batches of baby food. He, of course, is not old enough to appreciate anything I do for him, but somehow it still so fulfilling to make him content through food. So far, I have sweet potato, squash, and blueberry-based combinations in the freezer. Next up is green beans, prunes, carrots, and peaches.

Breastfeeding has probably been the most giving thing I've ever done for another human being. I plan to write about breastfeeding in another post, but if I think about it, it is a very common way to feed an infant that millions of women have experienced. I figure that breastfeeding has consumed between 4-6 hours daily of my life for the past 8 months. And if I'm at work, away from Sawyer, my schedule is planned around pumping milk for him. Women who breastfeed make such a loving sacrifice, but in my experience, it has been a time of bonding, joy, and fulfillment.

A lot of my life revolves around making food for others. A lot of other women around me would tell a similar story. I suppose the easy answer is that it's part of our nurturing nature. I just find it fascinating for some reason, to think about what women do for their families, and how God placed that desire to serve others in the hearts of His daughters.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I love this post...it made me cry...I love food, nurturing others, and YOU.