James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
The first part about the orphans and widows is widely used among many Christian orphan care organizations. "...to keep onelself from being polluted by the world" is sometimes left out.
The burden to advocate for orphans lays increasingly heavy on my heart over the past 3 years or so. Just in the last month have I been learning the lesson about personal purity. About not wasting my time.
And I'm still learning about that...hoping to make that a priority for all the rest of my days on this earth.
At the conference, there were many powerful, influential people. Stephen Curtis Chapman and his wife, Mary Beth. The former first lady of Guatemala. C. Thomas Davis, author of "Fields of the Fatherless" (and other books) and CEO of Children's HopeChest. John Piper. Dozens of others working on the front lines of the fight for the children of the world. I hope to write about their impact on my life and thinking in the future.
"Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. This book has changed my life. I encourage you to pick up a copy or download the audiobook. I'm not sure I've read a book as powerful.
John Piper. I've heard so much about him. He far exceeded my expectations when he closed out Summit VI last week. He is anointed. Powerful. Convicting. He brought the two things I spend most of my time thinking about together...the fatherless and personal purity.
I have big dreams for west central Minnesota. Of course, I have no idea what will happen. My plan is to network right now. Find others whose hearts are being stirred up for orphans. Beyond that, I would love to start a regional alliance orphan care ministry of area churches. I have talked to so many friends who would love to adopt someday, but feel overwhelmed about the cost and the process. From the little bit I went through it, it is a challenge. Even painful. And once you get to the end result (bringing home your child) the work has jut begun.
I have a dream that my region would respond. All ages would answer the call to make an impact, to change the lives of orphans around the world in the name of Christ. For the glory of God. I would love to see the culture, race, ethnicity change because of adoption. I would love to send groups overseas to show hope to the children who have no one.
My plan...while not set in stone...is to network, as I mentioned. Then meet with leaders in different churches. Call the Body of Christ, maybe a few from each church, to a meeting or a "think tank." Use Orphan Sunday on November 7th, 2010 to kick off.
But I guard these dreams and plans so I wouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't happen the way I hope. I want to see the whole community transformed, but I can't feel like a failure if it doesn't happen...or at least, not right away. I know that God is laying this on my heart and that I must follow, one step at a time, one foot in front of another.
How great is our God.
(Still scatter-brained...for the Lord) Love, Shannon
No comments:
Post a Comment